Monday, February 11, 2008

Short 'n' shorter

Aww man, Roy Scheider died.

He was us in Jaws.

He didn't know anything about the water, or what swam underneath it. He just wanted to make sure his beach was safe for his kids.

That was the beauty of Roy Scheider's performace in Jaws. He was the sheriff of Amity Island, and he policed it with a sure, but fair hand. He knew what he was doing, and he was good at it.

But once he got on the water, he was literally, ironically, in over his head. He didn't know what he was doing, and often felt inadequate with the old sea horse, Captain Quint and the expert marine biologist Hooper.

Look, Roy Scheider wasn't the greatest actor there was, and Jaws would still be one of the best horror/action movies ever without him...

But man... he played the part perfectly.

Now... in honor of the man... how about a little male bonding... you girls can join in too...

Show me the way to go home... I'm tired and I wanna go to bed. I had a little drink about an hour agooo and its gone right to my head. Whenever I may roam... in land or sea or foam. You can always hear me singing this song, show me the way to go home...

boom boom boom

SHOW ME THE WAY TO GO HOME....BOOMBOOM BOOM... I'M TIRED AND I WANNA GO TO BED. I HAD A LITTLE DRINK ABOUT AN HOUR AGOOOO AND IT'S GONE RIGHT TO MY HEAD. WHENEVER I MAY ROAM... IN LAND OR SEA OR FOAM... YOU CAN ALWAYS HEAR ME SINGING THIS SOOOONG, SHOW ME THE WAY TO GO HOME.

BOOM BOOM BOOM...

Ahh, let the pros do it... and watch Scheider being the last to realize that there was trouble afoot in the water. Small, nuanced touches...