Saturday, November 24, 2007

Cleaning House

I have a nice blog coming about writers and writing and all sorts of literary hoohaw... but right at the moment my schedule is controlling my LIFE so for now it's all about answering some comments.

1) October 11, 2007 1:52 AM... JesseBaker said... As for questions, what's your opinion on fraternities? While never a member of a frat, I generally got along quite well with members of the various frats during college and looked forward to the parties that they would throw, in terms of being able to score all of the free booze I can drink for the $5 cover fee and smoking weed in public with my friends. What is your opinion of them? Positive? Negative? Apathetic?

APATHY!!! PURE APATHY!!!

College frats are just a more organized, and more pompous version of High School cliques. Unless they are coming out of a Ivy League campus, and have a billion year history, and you being accepted as a member gets you major collateral in whatever Ivy league educated field you pursue after college, it does nothing for you. Nothing, zilch, nada.

Except, it gives you a crash test in responsibility. Can you blow off a night of partying to get some studying done? Can you sit in your room and read 5 chapters of "Advanced Physics with no word being less then 5 syllables" while your frat managed to get ten of the football team's cheerleading squad in the house and completely doused and wet on E. In that sense, a frat shows you the man you are about to become: Are you the driven, focused A-type who gets what needs to be done, done no matter who's getting undressed just outside your door or are you the ID crazy B-Type who slams the book shut, says, "Fuck it, I'll bullshit my way through the exam", and goes looking for a few nice, moist holes to slip your raging boner into (or a nice stiffy to fill one of your holes with... girls have the same challenge with Sororities). Can you bypass beer a few nights a week for a good night's sleep? Can you blow past the poker game and head straight for the library for a quiet night of research? Can you keep focus even though there's a party every night and Mom and Dad are faaaaar away?

You know what, I never could. Which is pretty much one of the most honest things you'll ever get out of me.

Frats are ridiculous beneath a certain level. And they could force you to learn how to be a grown-up.

2) October 11, 2007 12:01 PM... Bruce said... Oh Mighty Hyatte, please pontificate on the sad spectacle that is our upcoming Presidential Election. Who you got, and why?

I talked about this in an earlier blog, but I destroyed the whole thing... no, you all remember that one. It's what led to this current blog concept. Why did I destroy it? I forget. Probably to scare a girl into thinking I was gone forever. It's usually how I do things. Once upon a time, you just had to change your phone number... now its a whole Internet changeover.

Anyway, its funny how our country works. We go two hundred and forty one years without a woman or a black guy as even having the stones to TRY to run (although Fritz Mondale did try to win the White House with Geraldine Ferrera as his running mate... but Ronald Reagan made quick work of ol' Fritz by God) and now, we're either going to elect a black dude OR a white girl.

Or Rudy Guiliani... but people just HATE this guy. It's a New York thing. 90% of the people in the country LOVE New York, in small doses. The only people who love it full time are born New Yorkers and gay actors/waiters. No one outside the five burroughs really want this guy telling us what to do.

We are all in agreement that John Edwards has zero chance, right?

John McCain? Well, he's a very likeable guy and is a war hero and can't raise his arm higher than his shoulder... but... come on... how any times does he plan on getting rejected before he stops asking us out on a date?

Al Gore? You know, he might actually take the House if he ran, but I think he's still scarred up from the last time he ran. There shouldn't have been an issue with Florida and hanging chads and the whole, "Bush stole the Presidency" debacle. Gore should have took this thing home in a landslide. It was his to lose and he lost it.

Fred Thompson? He's already tired. He's an old dude from Texas who is already dreaming of chilling out at his ranch and taking the occasional bit part in a movie.

Part of Guiliani's and Thompson's problem is that they are Republicans. It's over for the Republicans. They had eight years to improve our lives and... well... not even Nixon can claim such a clusterfuck. 3/4 of the world either hates us or is laughing at us and the other 1/4 is still wearing loinclothes made out of chicken feathers and never heard of television, much less Bill O'Reilly

So really, even with a year to go, it's down to two Democrats. Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton.

And the Clintons have forgotten more about sneaky politics then most politions will ever learn.

And if you don't care for Hilary, you have Bill there, with his warm smile, basically saying, "Look, put my wife in. She's really smart and really cares. And... trust me, I'll be a hands on First Husband. Look, get my wife in there and I'll make sure everything gets fixed. We can all get back to making some money again."

We're about to have our first woman President. And the only people to suffer from this are women athlete/celebrities who trot out the whole, "I'm doing it to show girls that we can do anything" philosophy for whatever crazy stunt they do in front of cameras. We have a woman running the most powerful country in the world. It's over... women are now equals.

Obama seems like a nice guy, but he needs at least eight more years of seasoning before he eyes the big prize... and I'm not too sure America in general can handle a brother in office just yet.


3) October 11, 2007 12:11 PM ... JT said...What's your take on the middle east situation? What do you think of the way we have handled (or not handled depending on your position) everything that has gone on in recent years? That's heavy stuff, but important in this day and age. Thanks again.

I think its a damn shame. Someone smarter than me said, "Bush and Cheney decided to do no less then try to change the oldest culture in the history of civilization." I think there was a smidge of good intent in this but it simply drowned under an ocean of oil greed and arrogant posturing. I also think Dick Cheney is as close to passive evil as we will ever see in a human being.

And Osama Bin Laden will die by natural causes among family and friends with a big smile on his face. Job well done.

At the very least, unlike with Vietnam, when our soldiers come home they will receive a hero's welcome and thanks of a grateful nation. We're smart enough as a nation to not blame them for this mess.

4) October 14, 2007 4:33 PM ... Anonymous said... Whats the best meal you can cook on your own, the one you whip out when you have a girl over or something, or just when you feel like eating something great.

Well, the few times I have actually cooked for a girl, it's been soup.

Yes, you've heard me right. Soup.

Why? Because it's easy as hell to make but it looks complex, there are sooooo many varieties that you can make something for even the pickiest of eaters, and a good, homemade soup made by a date leads to a strong sense of comfort and intimacy. How can this guy be any bad? He makes such a nice, hot soup!

Plus it's not filling and high in vitamins. Makes for energetic after-dinner activites.

The last really good soup I made for a girl (a BLACK girl, no less) was Crab Bisque with sourdough bread on the side. We went through a nice bottle of Reisling along with it. (Reisling ROCKS with light, salty fare, also a PERFECT picnic wine when you're enjoying cheese and crackers).

For the next few dates I move up the ladder but still keep things simple - I usually grill things like steak and chicken for them... because by then their appetitites tend to grow with their comfort level around you and they usually end up relaxing enough to let you see them eat big. Besides, grilling meat is easy so long as you prepare an elaborate marinade the night before.

And on the big night, when you decide to keep her around for a while and she decides the same, you make the pasta dish, THAT'S when you bust out the cookbooks and prepare the most elaborate sauce you can.

And really, to do anything more elaborate would require cooking classes, or a more full-time attentiveness... and I don't have enough of those situations to do any of that.

5) November 3, 2007 10:43 PM... Anonymous said... What's your take on 9/11 Conspiracists? Nutjobs who will never be taken seriously, or are they on to something that the rest of us are blind to?

They are assholes.

Put one of the biggest commercial jets with a tank full of gas into a building and the building goes down. Period.

Take two of the biggest buildings in the world and make them crumble down to the ground and it will affect the neighboring builds around them. Period.

Jesus Christ. Even people who think OJ was framed. Even people who think JFK was assasinated by his own people. Even people who think wrestling is REAL think people who think 9/11 was rigged by our own Government are morons.

6) November 6, 2007 5:52 PM ... Anonymous said... Hey, lookit... Hyatte made a black chick BLUSH! Such is his power. I guess she's not, y'know... BLACK black, but still... very cool!

Only someone who has never made a black girl blush would say something like this.

So her skin didn't turn white, or red, but there were definite signs of blushing. A giggle, eyes looking downward. Wide smile. Sort of not knowing what to say. More giggling.

Talk to enough girls and you can see the signs.

7) November 10, 2007 5:44 PM... T.A.C. said... sometimes, i feel like an eavesdropper.... disgruntled in toronto undisgruntled someone she doesn't even know. just cuz she reminded me that hyatte likes RHIANNA (seriously though, for REAL??), and that makes me laugh out loudz. and also cuz sometimes it's fun to think i've figured things out, even if i'm later proven wrong.

Okay, for anyone reading who has no clue what he is referring to, read the comments section for the last few installments.

Yes, I like Rhianna, and I like "Umbrella" more since I learned that... well, there's a more intimate meaning behind it now.

She also has fun with her songs. She's a playful singer.

But the reason I'm responding to this is to let you all know that you probably won't ever really know the story here. You can eavesdrop all you want, it's part of the fun here, but a LOT of things will have to happen before any of you find out the whole story.

And there is more then just one girl involved, by the way. Or is there?

And how does the fact that I have NO restrictions on commenting fit into this? I've already made wrong assumptions here before.

Mwahahahahahaaaaa.... oh this is so lame.

8) November 15, 2007 10:10 AM ... FLEA said...
(To the tune of Dear Prudence – the Beatles)

Dear Fleabag, won't you come out to play

Dear Fleabag, my music taste’s turned gay

I write my blog and reel them in

Like catfish drunked up on gin

Dear Fleabag, won't you come out to play

The clouds will be a daisy chain (DAISY CHAIN – HAWR!)


Hmm... first off, you know, lemme tell you somethin', take the first verse and the fifth verse and replace "Fleabag" with "Hi-Rate", "Hy8", "Cocksucker", or whatever nickname you have for me these days and you'll have a much closer version of the truth.

One of our phones be ringing and it ain't yours.

Go hang at the CRZ forum and tell Shapiro how great he is and I'll get back to you.

9) October 27, 2007 5:40 AM ... Anonymous said... You should blog Survivor Hyatte!

No I shouldn't

10) November 15, 2007 9:48 PM Patricia said... I wont be around after today until Mon 26th, just so you know. Nice work, keep it up kid.

I hope Larry forgot his sunblock and his sensitive little balding head got all burned and all you did was fight, fight, fight and I hope the sex was just as boring and predictable there as it is everywhere else.

And before anyone gets too amazed... she gave most of her MySpace buddy list the same "Won't be around" message. The entire roster of professional wrestlers in the UK was informed.

11) November 21, 2007 6:19 PM... Patricia said... Just checking in.....Like you knew I couldn´t stay away.....

Awww sweetie... if only that was a shoot.

And if anyone noticed a difference in tone between these two notes... almost like it's from two different people... no, it's the same person and yes, she's like this ALL THE TIME... you never know who you're gonna get at any given moment.

It's kind'a fun, actually. And kind'a... not so much fun.

12) November 23, 2007 11:39 AM... necroz said... I remember when brett was funny. I also remember when you were fun to read. You're still interesting when on topic but I certainly miss a nice MidniteRant

Well, okay.... Necroz... here's the thing...

I don't fucking miss it.

But let's back up. It's spelled "Midnight", douche. It's also not a fucking "rant". I don't "rant". Scooter Keith doesn't "rant". Ranting involves rage and obsessiveness. Scooter never got upset about anything, ever.

You're a fucking retard. You remember when I was fun to read? I remember when I told people to NOT give me shit about columns on this blog. Were you not paying attention?? Are you fucking dense?

You can't spell "Midnight" so I think yes.

Don't fucking visit here if you don't think you're getting your money's worth... because if you assholes had decided to rob your daddy's wallet and send me some green, I might have found the inner desire to keep on with my "midnite fucking ranting"... but since you cheap fuckers didn't spring... I don't stay up all night dreaming up new ways of entertaining you with wrestling fucking news.

I don't miss doing columns because there was no payoff. That's the crazy fucking thing about me... I will stay involved with something on good faith that there MAY be something in it for me at the end... and I'll stay with it for a good long while before I let go... but eventually I will let go and then it's fucking DONE.

If you're not enjoyinng yourself here, cowboy... then stop reading. If you can't do that, then shut the fuck up.

Fuck you and what you "miss"... and buy a motherfucking dictionary.

BLARH!!!! There's your fucking rant. And before you hammer out some sizzling retort... just know that I'll clip out every single comment that tries to egg me on about this. This will NOT become me vs a pack of fags. Trust me on this.

Back in a few. Have a nice weekend.